The Great Ocean Road
The Great Ocean Road - with Luke!
I am not sure if you knew - but there are now only 8 apostles left on the Great Ocean Road. Although everyone advertises that the ICON is called the 12 apostles - the constant battering by the waves and wind have caused erosion of the apostles and resulted in 4 falling down over the years! I know - a pointless fact but I think an interesting one.
The Great Ocean Rd., between Melbourne and Adelaide is one of Australia's famous landmarks and is well worth the visit if you have the time. Apart from being a beautiful drive, there are amazing sceneries, lovely seaside towns such as Lorne and Port Campbell, there is also an amazing wildlife to be seen with many Koalas at Kennet River.
Torquay - the start of the Great Ocean Rd., is home to famous surf brands like Quicksilver and Rip Curl - and not to mention the famous Bells Beach - where every easter, a World Surf competition is held.
The Otway National Park is amazing - take a beautiful walk here - and if you have the time/budget try the Otway Fly - where you zipline through the forest. It is super fun.
My top tips for travelling this landmark and to fully experience the most memorable Great Ocean Road Tours are:
- If you self drive - take as much time as you can!
- Remember it gets quite cold due to the sea breezes and also due to the fact that the next continent is Antarctica
- Check out the "8 apostles" at sunset and sunrise - they look amazing
- If you have the $$ take a helicopter ride over the apostles - you wont regret it
- The Jan Juc surf club has interesting memorabilia if you can get in!
- There is a cool surf museum in Torquay which is worth a look even if you are not into surfing
- Add the Grampians into the itinerary for beautiful bushwalks
- From Adelaide to Melbourne - although it is do-able in 3 days - if you have more time take 7 and spend some extra time in the Grampians
The Great Ocean Road can be done in a scenic day tour from Melbourne - but if you do have time do it justice and do it properly - it will provide you with a lifetime of memories.