Ghost Gum Walk
5 Facts about the Ghost Gum Walk
1. The Ghost Gum Walk is a walking track that encompasses Ormiston Gorge in the West MacDonnell Ranges, 135 kilometres west of Alice Springs.
2. It’s a 20-minute oneway walk to the Ghost Gum Lookout – one of the most popular short walks in the area – and the full 2-kilometre Ghost Gum Walk loop will take about 1.5 hours to complete as you lead to Ormiston Waterhole and back along the gorge floor.
3. This walk showcases the rock formations and native flora of the area including a lone Ghost Gum perfect for photo opportunities, perched atop a rust-red quartzite cliff. A lookout platform provides spectacular views of the ranges and Ormiston Gorge.
4. The gorge is a mecca for various wildlife due to many habitats – woodlands, river red gums, spinifex-covered hills, quartzite rock caves and a permanent waterhole that is part of Aboriginal Emu Dreaming and is a listed sacred site.
5. Wildlife you may see along the walking track include honeyeaters, carpet snakes, bandy bandy striped snakes, rock wallabies, dingoes and Australia’s largest lizard, the imposing Perentie.
To add this unique Australian tour experience to your itinerary, contact Adventures Beyond who offers a few different tour packages with the Ghost Gum Walk: