More facts, famous figures and personalities from Katherine:
- The region was popularized by Jeannie Gunn, from the novel "We of Never Never".
- The film Jedda, was partially filmed at the Katherine Gorge.
- Rogue, an Australian horror film in 2007 was partly filmed in Katherine Gorge, and briefly too in the movie Crocodile Dundee.
- Professional world champion, racing cyclist Cadel Evans was born in Katherine in 1977.
- The first Flying Doctor, Clyde Fenton, with the moniker "Speed Gordon of the Territory Skies" lived and operated in Katherine between 1934 and 1942.
- Professional rugby league player Luke Kelly was born here in 1989. Also James McManus actually grew up in Katherine in the 1990’s.
- Leisel Jones, the Olympic gold medallist in swimming was born here in 1985.
- Indigenous Australian advocate Mick Dodson was born here in 1950.
This just shows that Katherine, as a home for famous personalities, can be a great destination for Australia adventure tours.
Photo courtesy of www.travelnt.com